The European Union are bringing in new tax laws as of the 1st January 2015 relating to the sale of digital goods.
I don’t fully understand them and it seems very complicated but the basics that I understand is that I will need to calculate tax for the region where the person who purchased the game lives.
My understanding is that this will NOT affect sales of games through platforms, i.e.:
- Xbox Live Indie Games (X-Orbtek II, Avatar Runner & Mashapocolypse)
- Desura (Invertical)
- Amazon (Invertical)
- IndieCity (number of titles I think)
- iPhone & iPad (no paid for yet)
- Windows Phone 8 (no paid for yet)
- Play store once they switch their system (no paid for yet)
- Published games (none out yet)
This will mean, if I am not mistaken, that I have lots of extra paperwork and need to obtain personal info on people purchasing games via my website. So you know what… screw it I am not selling via my website any more.
What confuses me right now is market places where I immediately get a payment using paypal when someone buys a copy:
- itch.io (Invertical)
- Google Play store for now (free anyway)
I think I need to do the whole tax thing for these sites so I’m now going to unpublish the games.
Bit of a pain in the arse but seems the only way, aside from spending way more on an accountant than I earn through sales!
Happy new year all… aside from the EU tax makers. I hope you have a rotten new year.